Pharmaceutical Micronizer - The Genius Jet Mill
What makes Sturtevant’s Pharmaceutical Micronizer the world’s most popular choice for sanitary applications? Here’s the secret: our unique USDA design. Engineered specifically for sanitary applications such as pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, food ingredients, biotechnology and other applications where sanitary contact surfaces are critical. The Pharmaceutical Micronizer is built without trap zones or exposed threads and a unique stacked plate design that allows for no-tools disassembly for quick and easy cleaning, even in a glove box isolator. A wealth of optional features and customizations are available with the Pharmaceutical Micronizer to tailor it to the rigors of any sanitary application including non-stick coating, inert gas milling and fully enclosed, contained systems.
Questions about the legendary Micronizer? Email us or call 1-800-992-0209
Models & Specs
|Mill Size/Diameter||1Compressed Air/Gas|
|2bHP||Capacity lbs/hr (kg/hr)|
|Qualification||8 9 (13.6)||2||1/8 -1 (.05 - .5)|
|2-inch||20 (34)||5||1/2 - 2 (.2 - .9)|
|4-inch||55 (93.5)||13||2 - 40 (.9 - 18)|
|8-inch||130 (221)||31||10 - 100 (4 - 45)|
|12-inch||260 (442)||62||30 - 250 (13 - 113)|
1. Volume of free air at 60°F (16°C), 14.7 psi compressed to 100 PSIG. Includes air consumed by feed injector nozzle.
2. Approximate HP necessary to generate 100 PSIG compressed air.
Features & Benefits
- Documentation to support FDA validation including IQ/OQ/PQ
- No heat created during milling protecting heat sensitive products
- Requires no tools – disassembles by hand even in a glovebox isolator
- Engineered to avoid risk of cross contamination of milled products
- Accessibility to all internal areas for easy washing, autoclaving or swabbing
- Consistent control adjustments for repeatability
Sturtevant is more than an equipment manufacturer. We stand behind every product we sell. In addition to providing the best product for each and every application, we also test, evaluate, and maintain our products to assure our clients’ needs.We offer a variety of services to assist with the development, maintenance, and testing of products:
- Lab Sample Testing
- Field Services
- Replacement Parts
- What typical particle size does the Micronizer produce?
The Micronizer usually generates particle size distributions that range from 0.25 to 10 microns, depending on the incoming feed size, the friability of the material, and the feed rate. Micronizer does provide the flexibility to produce larger sizes.
- Can I follow Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) using the Pharmaceutical Micronizer?
Yes, the Pharmaceutical Micronizer is the industry’s first USDA accepted design.
- Is IQ/OQ/PQ validation assistance available?
Sturtevant offers a comprehensive validation package for the entire line of Pharmaceutical Micronizers.
- Will the Micronizer contaminate powder?
The Micronizer uses particle-on-particle impact to reduce a powder. Incidental contact will occur with the mill’s body. To further protect a powder from contamination, Micronizer can be lined with stainless steel and alumina ceramic. Custom pharmaceutical coatings and special finishes are also available.
- Can Micronizer be used with other gases besides compressed air?
Any type of high pressure gas can be used. Nitrogen and argon are common examples. Inert gases are often used to prevent product oxidation and inert potentially explosive materials.
- Does the Micronizer classify particles?
Yes, the Micronizer® classifies particles as they are milled. The centrifugal force in the milling chamber retains large particles to be further reduced. The vortex classifier controls the size of particles that can escape before being fully milled.
- How do you Micronize heat sensitive materials?
The Micronizer does not generate any heat during milling. The operational temperature of the Micronizer® is controlled by the temperature of the compressed gas entering the mill.
- Can Micronizer mill non free flowing powders?
Non free flowing powders can be milled. Testing at the Sturtevant laboratory will determine the configuration and set up of the Micronizer system. Proprietary nonstick coatings are available.
- How is the particle size of a Micronized powder controlled?
Feed rate is the principle method of controlling particle size. Slower feed rates produce finer products and fast feed rates produce larger particles. Second to feed rate changes in grinding air pressure will change particle size. Additional methods are used to precisely control final particle size.
- Can Micronizer be used for explosive materials?
Yes, the Micronizer is designed to operate in various conditions including fully inert, explosion isolated and is able to be customized to meet your specific concerns. Compliance with local and national codes and knowledge of Kst and Pmax are ultimately the customer’s responsibility.
- What shape are Micronized particles?
Micronized particles are typically spherical. The particle-on-particle grinding method tends to round any irregular shapes.
- Can a cyclone be substituted for filter bags to collect my product?
This depends on the final particle size of the product and the type of cyclone being considered. Coarser product can be collected in a cyclone and the exhaust air can be sent to a central dust collector. Fine products require a secondary filter to ensure all of the product is collected. Typically cyclones are inefficient below 3 microns.
- Can the Micronizer blend my dry ingredients?
The Micronizer can intensely blend dry powders to create a uniform product. Results are dependent on the ingredient characteristics.